Preserving Your Smile with Periodontal Treatment
The condition of your gums is an integral part of the health and beauty of your smile. Gums anchor your teeth to the jaw, and protects its roots from the onslaught of plaque and bacteria. When the gums deteriorate and start to recede, it can negatively affect your teeth and your overall health. Periodontal treatment may be recommended to return your gums to optimal health.
There are 2 types of periodontal treatment: non-surgical and surgical.
Non-surgical periodontal treatments include:
- Deep cleanings (scaling and root planing)
- Periodontal devices (night guards/bite guards)
- Antibiotic application below the gum line
- Regular cleanings
The following are considered surgical periodontal procedures:
- Gum pocket reduction: Decreases vulnerability to infection and halts the progression of periodontal disease
- Bone grafting: Done in preparation for dental implant placement
- Gingival grafting: Performed to cover an exposed tooth root or to treat extreme gum recession
- Dental implants: Replaces missing teeth
- Ridge augmentation: Reinforces the jawbone and restores its natural shape by filling indentations left by lost teeth
- Crown lengthening: Performed to expose more of the tooth from the gum line, either for restorative purposes (crown placement) or for cosmetic reasons (to correct a high or uneven gum line)
What Kind of Periodontal Treatment Is Right for Me?
Family & Cosmetic Dentistry of the Rockies provides both non-surgical and surgical periodontal treatments, which are recommended based on your assessed dental condition and what you hope to achieve. If you think you may need periodontal treatment and would like to know more about the procedures we provide, or if you need to make an appointment with one of our dentists, please call our Fort Collins office today at (970) 223-8425. For your convenience, you can also reach us online by submitting a contact or appointment request using the form below.